ABOUT ME...my inspiration comes from within my imagination
I was born and raised in Cape Town, South Africa and recently returned from a two year working opportunity abroad in Olomouc, Czech Republic. I held the position as “Invited Artist” where I was the an artist-in-residence for the Institute of Molecular and Translational Medicine at Palacký University. My role centered on "bringing science to the public through art."
In collaboration with the Institutes non-profit foundation (Rakovina věc veřejná), I was asked to illustrate a book entitled, "Dedicated Fairy Tales" for the purpose of raising funds for cancer research. The book was written by well-known Czech and Slovak personalities and the launch took place on the 5th of December 2016 in Prague. The book has been well received and exposed widely within the media, even making an appearance on national television. "Dedicated Fairy Tales" is bilingual and appropriate for both older kids and adults. For more information and how to order online, please visit the website at http://kniha.vecverejna.cz/ and click on the link to view my interview from the launch on YouTube.
How did it all begin for me? After completing my secondary schooling in Cape Town, I completed a 4 year BTech degree in Textile and Surface Design at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, while dabbling in fine art, illustration and media on the side.
Shortly after completing my education, I spent time travelling and working in the UK and US and I have exhibited my illustrations at numerous art galleries around Cape Town.
My inspiration comes almost entirely from within my imagination. It is a very intuitive process. I play around with elements extracted from my doodles to create new and unique compositions. My illustrations mostly depict fantasy worlds and the whimsical characters that exist within them. All of my illustrations are hand-drawn and my preferred medium to work in is gouache (a water-soluble pigment) watercolour and fine liner pen on watercolour paper.
PortfolioThis is it, my work
MY PHILOSOPHYYou have something nobody else has...
We live in a world where it is particularly difficult to come up with original imagery. Every so often it feels as if we are simply recycling the past, especially within the fields of music, fashion and design. We absorb bits and pieces of what already exists and merely re-stitch them together to create second-rate versions of what already is. I believe wholeheartedly in the power of imagination and its intuitive nuances. Unfortunately we are suppressing this natural ability due being immersed in technology. When do we allow ourselves to daydream? This is the best way of exercising and cultivating our imagination.
I firmly believe in the words of British author, Neil Gaiman, “You have something nobody else has. YOU. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. Tell the stories that only you can tell. You are the only you.” There will always be someone out there who is better on a technical level, but nobody can tell your stories like you can. Is this not the true meaning of originality and individuality? As artists, every time we place our hands on that piece of paper with a pen or paintbrush, we should allow those markings to become an extension of our soul – a bridge connecting our outer selves to our internal landscape.
News and PublicationsIt's difficult to be original these days...
CURRICULUM VITAESimply my CV
Telephone: (Czech Mobile) +420 773 139 891
Nationality: South African
Date of Birth: 02.09.1983
Publication and launch of book, "Dedicated Fairy Tales" in Prague, Czech Republic (to raise funds for cancer research)
2014 – 2016
- “Invited Artist” at the Institute of Molecular and Translational Medicine, Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic and Artist for the Rakovina věc veřejná Foundation (raising funds for cancer research).
Independent Work Experience
- Solo exhibition of whimsical illustrations at Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, Cape Town
- Group exhibition of illustrations at Hugo Naude & Jean Welz Gallery, Worcester
- Worked for North Avenue - Online retail company in Long Island, New York
- Attended Etching classes at the Art Students League of New York
2008 - 2010
- Working holiday experience in Isle of Man, UK
- Exported silkscreen prints to New York, London and Germany
- Exhibition of Pen and Ink artworks at Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, Cape Town
- Group exhibition at the Lisa King Contemporary Art Gallery, Cape Town
- Solo Exhibition of silkscreen prints at Mojo Interior Studio, Cape Town
- Sponsored exhibition at Decorex, Interior and Décor Fair at Cape Town International Convention Centre.
- Solo exhibition of graduate portfolio at The Refinery (Post Production for Film and Television Studio)
- Self-publication of first book entitled, The Story of Line featuring own illustrations and poetry.
- 7 months internship at The Refinery studio in animation and visual effects department. Learned basics of 2D animation using Adobe After Effects.
- Reflective journals used by lecturer for research into creativity in education
- Assistant to Fashion Buyer in clothing department at Shoprite (Listed Retail Chain) head office
- First solo exhibition at Frank Joubert Art School, Cape Town
Education and Qualifications
- 2005 – Baccalaureus Technologiae (BTech) Textile and Surface Design (Cum Laude) at Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- 2002 – 2004 – National Diploma in Textile Design and Technology at Cape Technikon
- 2003 – Attended the Dale Carnegie Course for training in leadership and public speaking
- 2001 – Graduated from Herzlia High School – Matric Senior Certificate
- 1990 – 2001 – Attended Herzlia Primary, Middle & High Schools